St. Patrick’s Haven, a shelter for homeless men, is a ministry of presence to men who choose a place of safety, a warm bed, a shower, coffee, a snack and friendship nightly.
Founded in 1984, the Haven is a ministry of the Sisters of St. Joseph and a 501C(3) organization. Today, the Sisters, along with the SSJ Associates, manage the day-to-day operations. An on-site manager, a formerly homeless man, is employed by and lives at the Haven.
Like you and me, these men have hopes and dreams for the future. They yearn to live a better life. In the short term, however, they need shelter, a shower, warm refuge, a hot meal, friendly conversation, love and respect. They find that at St. Patrick's Haven, Inc.
• Since 1984, St. Patrick’s Haven has responded to the needs of homeless men in the city of Erie.
• “The Haven” can accommodate 21 men each night at its East 12th Street location.
• In 2012, St. Patrick’s Haven had provided 7, 304 nights of shelter to men age 18-79. Sixty percent of them were veterans.
• About 16 volunteers visit the Haven nightly to be present to the men and sharing their support and care
• Unlike other shelters who turn away men who are visibly intoxicated or under the influence, St. Patrick Haven welcomes them as long as there is no trouble and no alcohol or other substances are brought into the shelter.
• “The Haven” serves dinner on Saturday and Sunday which is supplied by area churches. On weekdays the men eat at area soup kitchens.
• “The Haven” works closely with the police and social services.
Location – 147 East 12th Street. Erie, PA 16335
Business Office – 5031 West Ridge Road. Erie, PA 16506